To become a member of a church is a joyful occasion both for the member and for the congregation when members are sincere in their commitment to Christ and his Church. For us to be confident that this is the case we have established a few prerequisites for membership.
- Receiving Christ as Saviour and Lord and committing one's life to Him in obedience
- Regular attendance for at least six months
- Taking a New Attenders class
- Publicly professing one's commitment to Christ
- Committing oneself to the Membership Standards
- I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God sent to redeem the world. I love and trust Him as the One who saves me from my sin, and in repentance and joy I embrace Him as Lord of my life.
- I believe that the Bible is the Word of God revealing Christ and His redemption. I accept that the three creeds (Apostles, Nicene, and Athanasian) and the three confessions (Heidelberg Catechism, Belgic Confession, and the Cannons of Dort) faithfully reflect the teaching of the Bible.
- I promise to do all I can, with the help of the Holy Spirit, to strengthen my love and commitment to Christ by sharing faithfully in the life of the church by:
- Committing myself to weekly attendance of Sunday services for worship, Biblical instruction, and fellowship.
- Committing myself to a regular time of personal prayer and Bible reading.
- Committing myself to participation in a small group (Fellowship group, Men's Life, Ladies' Bible Study, Sunday School, Bible Study, Youth, etc.)
- I promise to honour and submit to the authority of the church.
- I agree to join with the people of God in doing the work of the Lord everywhere.
- I commit myself to the Mission Statement and Goals of Faith Community Church and to serve the congregation formally (e.g., teaching a Sunday School class, leading a ministry, serving on a committee, etc.) and/or informally (e.g., visiting seniors, regularly praying for the church, showing hospitality to others in church, writing our missionaries, etc.).
- I commit myself to sharing the Good News of Jesus Christ with others through my words and deeds.
- I commit myself to raise my children to accept and follow Jesus Christ by my prayer, example, instruction, and their participation in the ministries of the church.
- Out of love and thankfulness for all that God gives me in Christ, I agree that everything belongs to God and I will seek to honour Him with it. I will strive to be a 'cheerful giver' (2 Cor. 9:7) who regularly gives money to God in keeping with my income (1 Cor. 16:1). I will do my best to give the Lord my tithe as a minimum (a tenth of my income as taught in Gen. 14:20; 28:22; Lev. 27:30; Deut. 26:12; Matt. 23:23) in part in support of Faith Community Church. In times of serious financial difficulty I will simply give what I can.
- I promise to "make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bonds of peace" (Eph. 4:3). Serious difficulties I have with the beliefs and/or practices of the church I promise to address to the church leadership directly.